Thursday 30 August 2018

August

So here we are at the end of August. 
Just another couple of days left before that first day of school feeling hits and S stands by our front door for the traditional photo shoot and heads off on the start of a new academic year.

The weather has been good during the summer break. S has been out and about meeting up with friends at local parks, she's been to the cinema a couple of times, mooched around town, been trampolining, met my mum for lunch, had friends to stay and gone on a sleepover.
Plus in the middle of the holidays we had our own holiday when we took the Eurostar to Belgium.

I have well and truly fallen out of the blogging habit this month which is a shame as it meant I have missed the 10th anniversary of when I started recording our lives here at Jumble and Jelly. Although I don't post as regularly now as I did when the children were younger I can't imagine stopping because it's so lovely having a record of us and the things we do.

I am borrowing an idea I have seen on Pinterest and decided to write a round up of August using a series of prompts. An idea I can see me taking forward into the next decade of blogging.

This month I have been

Reading 

A French Affair by Katie Fforde. I took this away with me and read most of it on the train journey to and from Brussels. I wanted something which would be light and easy to read and I thought the title was very apt seeing as we had to travel through France.



How did it take me until I was 50 to read this book. I loved it. L-O-V-E-D it.




Watching


Serendipity, a fluffy rom com with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale as 18th August was Serendipity Day.



and Forgetting Sarah Marshall as it was Mila Kunis' birthday on 14th August.

Trying

To make a jelly in a seaside sandcastle bucket for Sandcastle Day. 
But the darn thing didn't fully set and ended up a quivering heap on the plate!

Cooking

I made lemon rice pudding meringue as a nod to Lemon Juice Day.
I made S some macaroni cheese and bacon sandwiches.
I also made honeycomb lasagne and ham and mustard hash. The lasagne will be making another appearance but the hash won't as although G liked this S didn't.

Eating

We made sure we included raspberries in our picnic lunch in Antwerp as this was the closest we could get for Raspberries and Cream Day.



Belgian fries. G liked them, S and I weren't that fussed. But the waffles. Well what can I say, we all loved those.




Drinking



Watermelon Day was on 3rd August and so I made sure to have some in to make a smoothie with it. I know this should probably be obvious because of it's name but I didn't enjoy it in a smoothie as it made it too, well, watery!

Doing

Silly things with my lovely daughter. It may not look it in this photo but she was laughing as much as me and G whilst we were posing for this!


Going

To Belgium. We stayed in Brussels and had day trips to Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges. We had a great time and I would thoroughly recommend a trip to Belgium to anyone considering it. 

One evening a couple of weeks ago we met up with some with friends and we took ourselves off to a local green where we enjoyed fish and chips for our tea. Their younger children played with S and we sat around chatting about this and that. A perfect way to unwind after a day at work and spend a relaxing summers evening.

On a great clue solving day out to Lymington. The treasure trail took us around the town as we worked our way through the puzzles. We got the answer wrong, but we didn't care as we had great fun trying to solve the mystery.




Loving

Rocky.

Let me introduce you to the latest member of our family.
He's 18 months old and needed a new home. How could we resist?
He was already named Rocky and of course we had to keep it but within a day or so we were calling him Rocky Road. Due to the fact he is always around your feet, especially when you are trying to walk down the stairs he is now being called Rocky Road Trip Hazard.

Feeling

Annoyed is how I was feeling a week or so ago after I discovered that now S's school will only allow girls to wear on of two 'official' style skirts I am expected to pay out £22.50 to purchase one.
The reason this new school uniform rule is being introduced is because other girls were wearing skirts which were too short and didn't comply with the rules. So now the school have decided that all girls have to wear one of the skirts they deem as acceptable. Never mind that many girls did wear skirts which were within the uniform guidelines. It makes me so cross.

Wearing

A dress which matched S's drink




and a bottle green scarf in homage of Word Scout Scarf Day.



Thankful.

This month marked the 10th anniversary of when we lost our dearest Dad. It feels utterly impossible that so long has passed since then. I still miss his dreadfully but will ever be thankful that he was my Dad.


Wondering

If I would find a lion suitable to photograph on World Lion Day and then finding this smiling face on a door not far from the apartment we were staying in.




Listening

I bought this Shaky album for 1 Euro whilst we were in Ghent. Bargain I'd say.
We used the cover for this year's take on Vinyl Record Day.
And in case you are wondering, yes that's me knelt against the washing line support in our back garden.


Although it hasn't happened as yet, in actual fact we're off to it tomorrow evening, G and I will be listening and warbling away when we go to Sing Along with Grease. Can't wait, what a way to end the month.



5 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa … I really enjoyed your post, seeing and reading what you and the family have been up to.
    Gosh tenth anniversary of Jumble and Jelly! Don't the years go by so quickly …
    Here's to the next ten years :)

    Enjoy the remainder of August and have a great September.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that last photo turned out really well!
    Congratulations on your ten years blogging.
    It sounds like you've had a great month overall, aside from uniform annoyance and a watery smoothie!
    I hope back to school goes well for S :)

    I was made redundant so no back to school for me this September but honestly, I'm glad to have a bit of time off after a busy summmer. Wildlife Trust and supply TA work will hopefully be enough until I find a new job. In other news, I got married!

    Hope you are all well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your tenth blog anniversary, I always enjoy visiting your blog and reading your fun posts. Talking of reading, I love To Kill A Mockingbird too. It was one of the books we studied for our English Lit O Level and I've read it a few times since. I enjoyed the Harper Lee book which has been released recently, Go Set A Watchman, though I was in two minds whether to read it or not. It's set two decades after To Kill A Mockingbird, I really enjoyed it. Such a cute photo of Rocky, I'm sure he's well and truly one of the family already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely newsy post, how sweet to have Rocky join you. I think the girls who want to wear short skirts will just roll the new uniform ones up at the waistband ! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE how you lined up that record with your shoulders! Clever AND sneaky!
    It's so nice that you and S have enjoyed so many lovely days together- you made me giggle with that picture of you emulating the Sillhouette.
    I have that same Aubergine dress from Sainsbury's- it is one of my favourites!
    Rocky (Horror? if he does something vile??!) is adorable- I am so glad you have a new member of the family. That is very annoying about the school skirt- because some of them break the rules- deeply unfair!x

    ReplyDelete