Wednesday 30 December 2015

Our Christmas

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and that these in between days are being enjoyed too.
G and I returned to work yesterday but I'm off again today and have been endeavoring to set the house tidy again, with not much success I may add due to the many little piles of new gifts sat around our home awaiting new homes of their own.

Christmas eve S went to spend the day with my mum as, again, we were both at work. S always goes prepared with things to do to keep them busy and she very kindly agreed to squeeze in a little festive treat making. I gave her a packet of teacakes, icing sugar and holly cake sprinkles to make these 'puddings'. I think she did a great job, they look very sweet.



Whilst reading the Christmas Countdown on Brocante Home one day I found information about the origin of Christmas crackers and I decided to begin a new tradition for our table. Instead of sugared almonds I enclosed a little chocolate Father Christmas wrapped inside a little quote. Everyone chose a twist at random and then we went round the table reading them out, things like Be the Reason Someone Smiles Today and Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen.


A couple of days before Christmas T came to me very excited as he had seen an idea on youtube for wrapping presents and he was keen to do this to the gifts he had bought for me and G. A trip to Hobbycraft later he had amassed his supplies and took over the front room.
This is the end result for his gift to G. It was such a thoughtful thing for him to want to do.


One of the lasting memories I will take from this year is S's reaction when she opened this gift from my sister. S has such an unusual name and finding anything with her name on is impossible. When she opened this cushion she got a little teary, my sister asked her if everything was ok and she replied 'I'm just so happy.'


G looks prepared for winter in his new hat and scarf and what do you think of his little companion? Back In August I went out for the afternoon with my sisters and I saw this rabbit. He is a garden ornament and I fell in love with his handsome face. I ummed and ahhed over buying him, but decided against it in the end. Apparently the very next day my sister went back and bought him for me. I love him although I don't think I can put him outside.



We don't always buy cards to each other but when we went to the vintage fair last month I saw this one made from an original Babycham coaster and G said he would buy it as his card to me this year. It's going to be framed and put up on the dining room wall once I've gone to Ikea to buy the frame.




One of our long running family traditions is silly table presents to wear during lunch and here is this year's selection. Sequinned antlers for S.


Mistletoed headgear for my sister.
I buy everyone else's and G buys mine and by co-incidence T and I ended up with the same hat and glasses combo. He looked far better than me though.




What you can't see in this photo is that G's nose lights up and makes him look even more attractive!



Last but by no means least is my mum and her new facial hair.


Boxing day and the days after didn't go quite as planned as unfortunately T was sick that morning and quite out of sorts. We did manage to get to Salisbury to see G's family on the Sunday. G and S went up for the planned lunch out and T and I followed later in the day, joining everyone at Grandma's for a couple of hours to exchange pressies and play a game or two.
Now I really should return to the tidying, or maybe I'll just put my feet up and read. 
Where did I leave those chocolates..........

12 comments:

  1. Put your feet up and read, the mess will still be there on Saturday. And have a babycham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great Christmas Day! Sorry to hear that boxing day wasn't quite so good, I hope that you are all well now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds like you all had a great Christmas, save for T being ill. I love your new table tradition, I'm so going to steal that idea for next year. I love how T wrapped his gifts and how lovely for S to get something with her name on. I love the bunny, I have so many ornaments in my garden as I just can't pass them by when I see them. I got a new pig to add to the family on the lawn from Mick this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should definitely put your feet up and read, forget the housework! Lovely to read about your family Christmas, although I'm sorry T wasn't well. But it sounds like you still had a great time - I get the impression that there is a lot of laughter and happiness in your house. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like T's festive wrapping. we have a pile of presents in the lounge.. I suppose it's time to find homes for them ! wishing y ou all a happy new year xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your Christmas traditions Lisa especially your new one of the chocolate Santa and message. I wish you and your family a Happy and Healthy 2016 and I look forward to reading your blog in the new year. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely to read about your family Christmas, thank you for sharing your photo's too.

    Can you believe it's New Years Eve!
    Goodness, where has this year gone?

    Wishing you, and yours, a very Happy and Healthy 2016.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, looks like you had a wonderful Christmas! I absolutely adore your teacakes, one idea I keep in mind for next Christmas. Have a very Happy New Year!
    Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely Christmas...and those cakes look delicious. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, tidying- I've been trying that one ALL holiday! I DID manage to organise the wardrobe in the study which has been on my to do list forever!!!
    I'm so glad S liked her pillow (is her name Vanna then? What does the S stand for?) I know how she feels as Kerenza doesn't come up in named products very often, read ever!!
    The idea of wrapping with the doilies is brilliant!!!! Clever him!!! You have a lovely son there!!x
    P.S. Tea cakes = genius!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a great time! I had a neighbour with the same name as S, she was Indian. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful Christmas! I am loving the puddings and those twits. Absolutely genius ideas! x

    ReplyDelete