Monday 12 September 2011

Between the showers

on Saturday I went to an indoor car boot sale at one local church hall where I bought a fabulous pair of nearly new boots which should see me quite happily through the winter and then on to another church hall for a bric a brac sale. The only item I bought there was this pyrex type baking dish. I'm thinking maybe a rice pudding for after tea tonight?


Then in the afternoon we visited a church G used to live opposite and I have travelled past a thousand times as it was open as part of this weekend's



The architect for this church was George_Gilbert_Scott who was responsible for, among other things, the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras station and the Albert Memorial




but it was the stained glass windows made by Heaton, Butler and Baynes I really wanted to see as the info on the website said they were designed in the Art Nouveau style.

And they did not disappoint.


This is Mercy



with Peace to her left




and Justice to her right.




We were given a tour by the very knowledgable church warden who pointed out this set of 3 windows in the Lady Chapel. Apparently these were made out of stained glass from other broken windows in the church.





Thankfully yesterday wasn't quite as wet, though it was a bit blowy, as first predicted and so we spent a couple of hours walking and cycling on the Common before G treated us all to lunch in the pub. It was just the kind of gentle weekend we needed after the first week of getitng back into routine again.

7 comments:

  1. Now I understand why you were so jealous of "my" sunshine!
    Those stained glass window look like paintings, so detailed!
    Looking forward to tasting some rice pudding tonight :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    Love those stained glass windows! So pretty.

    The pyrex dish is so pretty too.

    Glad both your lovlies are settled at school. Its always a worry at the begining.

    Looks like you have had some fun creating with S. Fun times.

    Hope you have a great week and your computer problems are sorted.


    MBB x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum still has pyrex dishes like that. I must confess I don't like home made rice pudding ... I much prefer tinned!!!!
    Those stained glass windows are stunning!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dish, and such lovely pictures........I could look at stained glass windows for hours.
    Nattie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovley weekend chez Lisa - the windows are really special. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those windows are gorgeous, so much detail in them. We've had terrible gales here. Part of the garage roof opposite us blew off yesterday, and my greenhouse is in bits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I crown you the loveliest Lisa in the land this morning! Thanks for your comment - I was feeling rough as old boots until I read your comment - now I am all skippy and giddy ( so fickle!) As for those windows, so beautiful, wonderful detail, what a thrill to see them. Have a brilliant day,

    Love Sarah x

    ReplyDelete