Monday 22 October 2012

Riverside and a recipe



Yesterday was perfect autumn walking weather. We didn't venture far, just to one of our city's parks.

First off we feed the ducks.


Then we strolled by the river taking in the beauty of the trees as they start to display their autumn colours.


To get the children a bit more active I set them races to do from this list . T started to get a bit self conscious when it came to the 'run with your hands above your head' so it was time for me to take part too which made him laugh.
A lot. 
My inner child really enjoyed doing that one and the pretending to be an aeroplane was good fun too.
And by the time we got to 'run whilst singing' my mum had joined in as well and we all sang Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Not sure why but that was the first song that popped into my head that I knew we all knew! 



Mum found a lost golf ball, one must have gone astray from someones pitch and putt game, just before we reached the end of our walk so we had a couple of games of hunt in the ball in amongst the fallen leaves before we left.



Before I go I just wanted to share a recipe I found online which I cooked last Monday. I wish I had taken a photo as it actually looked like it was supposed too! 
It's for lightly spiced cottage pie. The recipe uses pumpkin for the topping but I used sweet potato and cut down the curry powder and cumin by half. 
There wasn't a smidge left afterwards and as she was eating it S said that she wished she could eat it for breakfast, lunch and tea all week as it was so delicious. Perfect autumn fare.

11 comments:

  1. I think hyou will be doing that recipe again !
    what a lovely park & fun games you played. I've been singing Christmassy songs as we are getting a lot of Christmassy donations in the shop ! It was Frosty the Snowman last week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post really just made me smile :) (I needed that on this gloomy wet morning here at work!) - your afternoon sounds a little like ours yesterday, we went for a lovely Autumn walk up to the lake and woods - though I loved the idea of the games and the singing - sounds such great fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty park. I just love this time of year with all the colorful Autumn leaves.The list idea sounds like a lot of fun :)
    The spice and sweet potato sounds like a nice twist on cottage pie, I will give it a go (cottage pie is one of my favorite Autumn/Winter meals!)
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had better weather than we did yesterday. We could hardly see in front of us when we took Archie for his walk as it was so foggy, and it didn't clear all day. It sounds like you all had lots of fun in the park. That's a compliment indeed off S, she must have really enjoyed your cottage pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the running through the park singing songs and hands in the air - sounds like great fun! It was wet and misty here yesterday but we did go out! Have a great week!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both you walk and your receipe sounds really lovely. High praise indeed when coming from a wee one too that they like a dinner so much they want to eat it again!

    Your walk sounded so much fun, Its great going for walks this time of year. Singing rudolph optional of course ;0)


    P x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty, I wanted to go out today to catch the autumn colours but we have this misty murky yuk! So later in the week I think. Off to check out the recipe now. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so lovely to record moments like this Lisa. Just taking in the seasonal aspects of your surroundings. Lovely lovely lovely. And that pie is going to be given a whirl here too. xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh that game sounds like fun! Your family always do such lovely things together!

    Cottage pie season has definitely arrived :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh yum,that cottage pie sounds delicious and perfect for this time of the year as the evenings turn chilly. Really enjoying my Autumn walks with Bella...and still losing weight! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like such a gorgeous walk - I'd love to be able to feed the ducks, but all we have are seagulls and they are fearsome little bleeps.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete