Thursday 28 January 2016

Blue Plaques

On Sunday G wanted to pay a visit to Richer Sounds.
Not my idea of an interesting shopping trip but it did provide me with the opportunity to go in search of a blue plaque which I had read about.
Emily Davies who was a pioneer of women's rights and a co founder of Girton College, Cambridge and she was born in Southampton


and this is the house she lived in.
Not bad eh?
The house is in Carlton Crescent which is part of a conservation area in the City. 
These houses were originally owned by officers in the army and navy and professional businessmen, Emily's father was a clergyman and her mother a teacher.
Most of them are now homes to businesses, such as solicitors, rather than families.


As I wandered further along the road I came across another blue plaque which I didn't know about.
This one was to commemorate Alexander Ross Clarke.
I have to admit I had never heard of this gentleman or his achievements.




I'd be just as happy trying out living in his house as I would Emily's former home.




Since coming home I've found information online about this part of the City and I think I will be going back for another more in depth look around.




Our route to Carlton Crescent took us along London Road and as we walked along it I noticed the word DAIRY painted on this chimney.
I've lived here all my life and can honestly say I have never noticed this before. This amazes me as I try and make sure I take in my surroundings wherever I go, just goes to show there is always something new.


London Road is the home of the Titanic Musicians Memorial.
This is a replica of the original which was destroyed during World War 2.
It's just across the road from the memorial to the engineers which is stunning and well worth making the time to seek out should you ever be in Southampton.




Once G had made his purchase we walked back through the park and that's where an eagle eyed S spotted this squirrel. I'm glad she was paying attention to her surroundings so I had the chance to snap Mr Bright-Eyed and Bushy Tailed.





11 comments:

  1. My daughter is fascinated by the Titanic, I'll tell her about the memorials. What a cute squirrel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photo of the squirrel. Aren't those houses wonderful. There's always something new to see which we haven't noticed before. I didn't know there was a memorial to the musicians from the Titanic, how lovely that they're remembered in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds. Many houses in our town along one of the main roads have been converted to businesses. They really look nice, and at least they are maintained and preserved. Love your squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how you can walk the same route for years and then suddenly notice something new isn't it. It happens to me all the time. You were very lucky with the squirrel. I'm always trying to get pictures of them but Southampton squirrels seem a shy bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo of the squirrel. Both of those houses are lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting wander. I've never gone in search of a specific blue plaque but I do love it when I come across them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It shows that there is so much history around and so much to see that we can easily miss doesn't it. I am sure that we have all missed seeing things. I love the dairy sign, I like to spot those old painted signs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love squirrels and often see them in the tree that I can see from the window when I'm on the keyboard.

    Those blue plaques are so interesting and I often think when out walking you do see and discover so much more ...

    Hope your weekend is going well

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading this post, beautiful looking houses - I imagine the interiors were once very grand.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting to look upwards & notice something you hadn't seen before !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at adorable old bushy-tail!! I love him!!! So cute. Those houses look REMARKABLY like the houses on York Gate just by the Royal Academy of Music in Marylebone where I used to work. They must be the same architect!x

    ReplyDelete