Tuesday 19 January 2016

Hidden Veg

As well as getting more fruit into our diet with the Nutribullet S and I have made some cakes which are bursting with goodness.
Parsnip and Pineapple.
Not an obvious combination I grant you but one which we are enjoying.
You don't taste the parsnip at all, it's just an alternative to carrot really.

The recipe was photocopied from a cook book a while ago, although I have no idea which one.
If you fancy giving them a go here's the recipe.

Preheat the oven to 180c, Gas Mark 4.
In a bowl mix together 2 cups of self raising flour, 1/3 cup of soft light brown sugar and the same of caster sugar, 1tsp baking powder, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and the same of salt.
To this add 1/4 pt sunflower oil and 2 beaten eggs.
Finally mix in 1/2 cup grated parsnip and 1 cup crushed pineapple.
Bake for 15-20 minutes.



In celebration of Tin Can day I thought I'd share another recipe. This one is quick and easy and good for a midweek meal. I cooked it last night and served with carrots, broccoli and Yorkshire puddings.
Boil a pan of potatoes for mashing.
Fry bacon, onion and garlic.
In a casserole dish empty a tin of Campbells condensed mushroom soup and whisk in just under half a pint of chicken stock. 
Add sweetcorn (and peas if you like them) to the casserole and then add the bacon mix.
Top with the mash (I add cheese to ours) and then bake in the oven at 160c for 25 minutes.

10 comments:

  1. Not sure about the parsnip and pineapple (I don't like pineapple), but the tin can recipe sounds like good comfort food xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two lovely recipes. They both sound quite unusual but I'm sure they were very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parsnip and pineapple is a new combination for me but I could imagine the parsnip adding a bit of moistness just like carrots. A very good way to add fruit and veg to everyday diet. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some good quick meals there Lisa! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure there is a whole recipe book (probably loads of them!) dedicated to baking cakes using vegetables. Why just use carrots when there's a whole array of other veg to try?! And I'm all for quick and easy teas, especially after a day at work. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any way to get more veggies in has to be a good one doesn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine parsnip works well in a cake as it's naturally quite sweet. I feel the urge to bake a carrot cake after reading this. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like chocolate and courgette cake but I'm really not sure about parsnips- it's the TEXTURE I don't like- can you sense it!? if not, I'd give thsi a go!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the recipes ... Parsnip and Pineapple is a different combination, and it's good to try different things.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah got the Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache cookbook for Christmas. She was not impressed. I, on the other hand, love the idea of cramming cakes with veg to make them slightly less unhealthy!

    ReplyDelete